Thursday, June 24, 2010

Hugh Syme Album Covers

Well, let's talk about Hugh Syme. Another designer with specialization in album covers design. As I already said, he did ALL the Rush's album covers since 1975! Your style is look like digital paint + surrealistic + manipulation pictures.

But the thing that I like more in Hugh style is the concept. All your creations has been thinking in concept. The design style is just a tool to developed your ideas.

When I look through these covers that I posted here, I get a trip and I imagine a lot of things. I see concepts, the music, the feelings...

That's it I want when I try to do some art, design ou art direction. Concept is everything! Style is just a tool ;)


Aerosmith - Get a Grip
This album cover is like Pink Floyd - Atom Heart Mother, but the difference is the piecing and the closest picture.

Dream Theater - Octavarium
I really like Hugh's design, but sometimes he does covers very similar to the Storm Thorgerson.

Queensrÿche - Promissed Land
I really like this effect of an art in wood.

Rush - Roll the Bones
I love this dado's wall.

Rush - Testo for Echo
I've imagined myself climbing those stones many times. ;)

Rush - Hemispheres
Another Storm Thorgerson style :P

Rush - Moving Pictures
The best Rush's album for me. I don't like the black frame of this cover, but I like the concept.


____________________________________________________________________


Bem, vamos falar sobre Hugh Syme. Outro designer com especialização em design de capas de discos. Como eu já disse, ele faz TODAS as capas do Rush desde 1975! Seu estilo é parecido com um pintura digital + manipulação de fotos + surrealismo.

Mas a coisa que eu mais gosto no estilo Hugh é o conceito. Todas as suas criações foram pensadas no conceito. O estilo de seu design é apenas uma ferramenta para desenvolver suas idéias.

Quando eu olho através dessas capas que eu postei aqui, eu viajo e imagino um monte de coisas. Eu penso nos conceitos, na música, nos sentimentos ...

É isso que eu quero quando eu tento fazer alguma arte, design ou direção de arte. Conceito é tudo! A linguagem é apenas uma ferramenta ;)

Share